Monday 4 January 2021

04.01.21 - This coming week in Early Years

Happy New Year! I hope you have all had a happy and healthy Christmas break. I know this is isn't the start of the new term that we would wish for, but please know that I am here if there is anything you need to support the children at home. Please just email using earlyyears@downhallprimary.com

Below are some ideas for home learning, these are the activities we would have been doing had we been in school.

We would have been:

  • Sharing Harry and the Dinosaurs stories. As an introduction to our new project we would have started with the story "Harry and the Bucketful of Dinosaurs".  If you don't have this story at home a version of it can be found here
  • Discussing our favourite dinosaurs. Following on from the story, we would have discussed our favourite dinosaurs and whether they were in Harry's bucket. My favourites are Stegosaurus, Diplodocus and Triceratops. I would love to see some pictures of your favourite dinosaurs. There are also some craft activities here that you may like. 
  • Starting Phase 3 in our Phonics sessions. I will film these sessions and then add them to this folder
  • Finding different ways to make 5 in our Mathematics sessions, learning about the parts that make a whole. We would have watched this episode of Numberblocks again as an introduction. In our sessions I would have been encouraging to find all of the different ways to split 5 objects (the whole) into 2 groups (the parts). I have added the relevant slide from White Rose Maths for this week's theme which gives more ideas. It can be found in this folder. These ideas are for the week, so maybe pick one a day and try different numbers (up to 10). I always start with lower numbers so that the children understand the concepts with numbers they are secure with.
  • Sharing and reading books together. Please remember the children have a login for the Big Cat e-book library. Reading a little everyday is so important. If you are unable to find your child's login details please email me and I will send them to you. I will be updating the children's libraries to reflect the books I would have been reading with them in school.
Finally, it would be lovely to know the children's views for our new project, I would be very grateful if you could ask them these questions and email me their answers, this will help me with future plans for our project.

Take care
Miss Wakefield

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.