Friday 22 January 2021

25.01.21 - This coming week in Early Years

Hello Everybody!

Well done, we have reached the half way point of the term! I hope you are all ok at home, please know that Mrs Fincham and I are really missing our lovely Pearlies. It has been lovely to see some of their smiling faces in the emails that we have had this week. I would really like it if you could email me each week to keep me up to date with how you all are and if you need support in any area of your child's welfare and education. 

Below are some ideas for this week's home learning, these are the activities we would have been doing had we been in school.

We would have been:

  • Sharing the book Bumpus Jumpus Dinosaurumpus! This has rhyming words (like Dinosaur Roar!) and is again full of different dinosaurs. If you do not have this book at home, a version of the story can be found here. At the end of this story there are some ideas to try at home too. I have added those ideas to the Home Learning folder in the English section.
  • Finding out about 5 new Vocabulary Ninja words, these have been added to the folder, numbers 6-10.
  • Learning the first 4 vowel digraphs in our Phonics sessions. These new sounds will be in the Phonics folder along with the films.
  • Starting the new phase in White Rose Maths - "Growing 6, 7 and 8". This week's learning will build upon the Numberblocks episodes I blogged about last week. There are also 2 stories that go with this week, Six Dinner Sid for Monday and Kipper's Toybox for Friday. A version of these stories can be found here and here.
  • Watching the Andy story "T-Rex and Pumice". This can be found here. We would then have gone on to look at real pumice and carried out an experiment to create our own volcano. We usually make our volcano in the same way as demonstrated in this video from the Natural History Museum. Maybe you might like to try it too.


This week I have found this website, it enables you to make music by clicking on the different experiments. I particularly enjoyed the Kandinsky experiment. I thought you might like to take a look at it yourselves, although I apologise in advance for the noise your children may make! The link can be found here.

Don't forget the children still have their Big Cat e-book library, it would be great if you could use this as much as possible as it will help with the children's blending. Please let me know if your child needs more books as I am able to amend their individual library. A link to login page is here. If you can't find your child's login details please do ask and I will email them to you.

As always I am here to support you and your child in any way I can, please email me using earlyyears@downhallprimary.com and I will get back to you.

I hope you all have a lovely weekend.

Take care

Miss Wakefield