Friday 29 January 2021

01.02.21 - This coming week in Early Years

Hello everyone!

We've reached the end of another week, a week that bought some news about the return to school. Mrs Fincham and I are missing the Pearlies lots and I am so sad that we now know we have even longer to wait until they all return. I just wanted to say that you are all doing a great job with the home learning and I am loving the emails you are sending. Thank you for taking the time to send me pictures of the children and their work, they really do make my day!

Below are some ideas for this week's home learning, these are the activities we would have been doing had we been in school.

We would have been:


  • Sharing non-fiction texts to find out facts about different dinosaurs. As well as looking through some of my collection of books we would have also watched these 2 films. The first film is an overview of dinosaurs and gives lots of facts, the second film is a top ten of dinosaur facts. The films can be found here and here.
  • Starting to create our own dinosaur book. In school we would have spent a few weeks doing this, so giving ourselves time to find out facts and record our ideas to turn into a class book. As well as the 2 films mentioned above, I have added some fact cards to the English folder and there is also a Dinosaur ebook which you can download (should you wish to). I would have been encouraging the children to focus on one dinosaur to learn and write about. There are also some great facts on the CBeebies website. These can be found here
  • Continuing with our Maths work, the next set of films for "Growing 6, 7, 8!" can be found here. I have also uploaded the activities to our home learning folder. This week is about combining (adding) numbers together.
  • Learning the next vowel digraphs in our Phonics sessions. The films for each day will be uploaded to the Phonics folder. (Apologies about the sunlight for Monday's film...I moved halfway through to see if that helped, the other films will be uploaded next week).
There are also new Vocabulary Ninja words in the folder (11-15) should you wish to have a look at them. In school we would have also been watching and talking about the next 5 Numberblocks episodes from series 2 (starting from Just Add One). These can be found here.

This weekend it is also the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch which you might like to join in with. The information can be found here I am going to do it too and will share my results with you next week. You may even like to try to make your own fat ball for them to eat - a link showing you how to do this can be found here

Please remember I am only ever an email or phone call away. I hope you all have a lovely weekend, who knows we may even get some snow!
Take care
Miss Wakefield