Friday 16 October 2020

19.10.20 - This week in Year 1

This week I am starting the blog with an apology. It has been brought to my attention that there are children who have been having accidents either in school or on the way home without my knowledge. I am absolutely heartbroken to think, that as parents, you might think I would never let a child go to the toilet. Please can I reassure you all that the children are able to (and do) use the toilet whenever they ask. The only time they are asked to wait is if the toilets are already in use. Using the toilets can take longer than before as the children need to wash their hands both before and after. The children have always been encouraged to remember not to leave it until they are busting as it could be that they have to wait for one to become free. There are the same number of toilets available as there will be in Amethyst, Diamond and Emerald and the same number of children using them, so it has been an important message for them to know as the situation will remain the same as they move to their new classes. I am SO SO sorry and only wish that I had known there was an issue earlier than today.


Next week is our last week together before the children move on to their new classes. I am looking forward to having some fun with the children and we will be having some special treats throughout the week.

So we will be:

  • Learning the last 4 tricky words for Phase 4 in our Phonics sessions and then setting our world record time (and trying to beat it) on Tricky Word Trucks
  • Continuing to use the part-whole model in our Mathematics sessions to find systematic methods to record the number bonds to 10 and to solve some addition problems.
  • Continuing on our Daily Mile journey around the world. We are hoping to reach Japan and China before the children move up to their new classes.
  • Writing in our English books and Maths books for the final time before we move into our new classes.
  • Sharing the book "Meesha Makes Friends" and discussing ways we might make friends in our new classes.

Please don't forget that any learning at home can be shared in school by emailing it to me using earlyyears@downhallprimary.com. This email can also be used for any questions or concerns you have regarding how your child has been in school or about their move to their new class. Please feel free to email me, I will always get back to you.

The children will be bringing home their Learning Journey books on Friday. I hope you all enjoy sharing them at home. 

See you next week!
Miss Wakefield